Our lineage as a continuing practice can be traced back to E D Jefferiss Mathews OBE a notable architect and Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects (FRIBA). He was appointed OBE before 1953, and is a former Vice President of the RIBA in 1953-55, Honorary Treasurer 1956-59 and 1963. His practice J Douglass Mathews & Partners were based in London, who employed Architects, and future Partners, Edward James Hill and Ronald Leslie Marshall.
Edward James Hill joined J Douglas Mathews & Partners in 1954 as a Senior Architect, with the practice becoming Mathews Ryan Simpson in the early 1960s.
In 1965 Edward Hill became a Partner with the practice and the name changed to Mathews Ryan Schwerdt and Hill in 1965, with the practice opening a branch office in Newcastle upon Tyne.
In 1977 John Kinmond, and in 1978 Trevor Ian Grant joined the practice at the Newcastle branch office.
In 1984 Edward Hill, Geoffrey Hutchinson and Ronald Marshall separated the Newcastle branch from the London main office and formed a new North East practice, Hill Marshall Hutchinson and moved to Bewick Road, Gateshead.
In 1985 the practice moved to Enterprise House in Team Valley where we we were located until April 2022.
Our In 1987 Andrew Watson joined the practice. Four years later, with the retirement of Edward Hill and Geoff Hutchinson, the practice changed its name to hmh architects, with John Kinmond and Trevor Grant as continuing Partners. In 1995 Andrew Watson became Partner, and from 1998 John Kinmond and Andrew Watson together continued the practice with the practice specializing in social and supported housing schemes.
In August 2014 David McKellar joined HMH Architects having completed a Master of Architecture degree at Northumbria University, graduating with Distinction.
In April 2018 John Kinmond retired and Andrew Watson carried on the practice as Principal with David McKellar becoming an Associate Partner shortly after.
David McKellar took over the practice in January 2022 becoming Principal. After numerous changes, and restructuring, in October 2022 the practice became a Limited Company, HMH Architects Ltd, with David McKellar as Director. Our aim is to continue to serve our loyal clients and grow our reputation throughout the North East and Yorkshire, continuing the practice’s great legacy.